The General Service Medal (GSM) was first introduced in 1918 as an Army and RAF equivalent to the Naval General Service Medal (NGSM).
The medal is used in place of a specific campaign medal, with clasps added to the medal to denote the campaign.
Post World War II Campaign Clasps issued to the 1918 GSM include: South East Asia 1945-46, Bomb and Mine Clearance, Palestine 1945-48, Malaya, Canal Zone, Cyprus, Near East (for Suez and Op Musketeer), Arabian Peninsula and Brunei.
In 1962 a modified General Service Medal was introduced which replaced the 1918 GSM and the NGSM.
Make a donation to Airborne Assault ParaData to help preserve the history of The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces