Extended history of 11 Special Air Service (SAS) Battalion
On 21st November 1940 No 2 Commando was officially re-designated as the 11th Special Air Service (SAS) Battalion containing a Headquarters, a Parachute Wing and a Glider Wing.
11 SAS Battalion was formed from No 2 Commando on 21 November 1940, retaining the No 2 Commando CO Lt Col CIA Jackson. In 1941 he was succeeded by Lt Col EE Down.
The battalion retained its Commando structure, of 22 eight-men teams trained to infantry section standard. This was increased to 10 because the numbers conformed to a Whitley aircraft ‘stick’ of parachutists.
‘X’Troop from 11th SAS , consisting of seven officers and 28 men conducted the Tragino Aquaduct Raid in Italy on 10/11 February 1941. This was the first British parachute operation of the war.
By August 1941 the unit reorganised into a conventional headquarters and four infantry companies battalion pattern.
On 15 September 1941 the unit name changed to the 1st Parachute Battalion.
|1940-41||Lt Col CIA Jackson|
|1941||Lt Col EE Down|
Make a donation to Airborne Assault ParaData to help preserve the history of The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces