The Army Air Corps Infantry Training Centre (AAC ITC) was formed towards the latter stages of World War II and conducted basic training of Parachute Regiment recruits before passing them onto Depot (at Hardwick Hall until 1946) and then Ringway.
The AAC ITC, which was based in Albany Barracks on the Isle of Wight c1945-46, was renamed as No 1 Army Air Corps Infantry Training Centre, on the formation of a second Parachute Regiment ITC and was known later as No 1 Parachute Regiment Infantry Training Centre. Approximately 1,500 recruits passed out of training at the peak of the centre's activity in the first quarter of 1946.
The ITC and Airborne Forces Depot were co-located for a short while at Albany Barracks before No 1 PR ITC's brief relocation to Bulford in 1946. The ITC moved again that year, in October, to Aldershot based in Albuhera and Barrosa Barracks.
It is believed to have remained as a separate unit until 1947 when its functions were absorbed by the Airborne Forces Depot.
Several distinguished members of airborne forces served on the staff including RSM JC Lord.
|Lt Col WAB Harris MC||-1946|
|Lt Col PJ Luard DSO||1946-47|
Make a donation to Airborne Assault ParaData to help preserve the history of The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces