The Tel Aviv Car Park attack April 1946
This account, produced by kind permission of Maj Gen Dare Wilson, is an extract from his book 'Cordon and Search' the definitive account of 6th Airborne Division's activities in Palestine.
The 5th (Scottish) Parachute Battalion was formed from the 7th Battalion The Cameron Highlanders in May 1942 and became part of the 2nd Parachute Brigade.
It was deployed to North Africa and took part in the seaborne landings in Italy in September 1943. When 1st Airborne Division returned to the UK it remained behind in Italy as part of the re-designated 2nd Independent Parachute Brigade. It operated as line infantry in Italy, jumped into Southern France in August 1944 and was part of the Athens occupation force in the winter of 1944-5.
After the war it served with the 6th Airborne Division in Palestine until 24 January 1947, when it sailed from Haifa bound for the United Kingdom as part of 2nd Parachute Brigade Group.
In February 1948, the Brigade Group including the 5th Para Bn was posted to the British Army of the Rhine and garrisoned at Leicester Barracks, Husum.
With the formation of the 16th Independent Parachute Brigade Group in 1948 the 5th (Scottish) Battalion was re-designated 2 PARA in July.
1942 Lt Col A Dunlop
1942-3 Lt Col CB Mackenzie, DSO, MBE
1943-5 Lt Col DR Hunter, MC
1945-7 Lt Col JNH Christie
1947 Lt Col AGF Munro
1947-8 Lt Col PS Sandilands, DSO
One company of the 4th Para Battalion was dropped in high winds at Megara airfield 40 miles from Athens suffering numerous casualties.
Make a donation to Airborne Assault ParaData to help preserve the history of The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces