HQ 1st Parachute Brigade formed the headquarters for operations of the 1st Parachute Brigade.
On 15th September 1941 authorisation was given for the formation of the 1st Parachute Brigade under Brigadier Richard N Gale. It was first employed operationally during the North African campaign where it was nick-named the ‘Red Devils’ by the Germans. It fought in Sicily, Italy and Arnhem with the 1st Airborne Division and also took part in the Liberation of Denmark.
In 1946 it was deployed to Palestine with the 6th Airborne Division and disbanded in 1948.
See also: 1st Parachute Brigade
Make a donation to Airborne Assault ParaData to help preserve the history of The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces