HQ 6th Airborne Division formed the Headquarters for operations of the 6th Airborne Division, protected by a dedicated Defence Platoon.
The 6th Airborne Division was formed on 23rd April 1943. It took part in the invasion of Normandy on 6th June 1944 remaining in the line until the break out to the Seine in August. It reformed in the UK and was employed in the Ardennes during the 1944-5 winter German counter-offensive. In March 1945 the Division was involved with the Rhine Crossing and subsequent advance to the Baltic at the wars end.
In 1945 the Division was despatched to Palestine on internal security duties until the end of the British Mandate in 1948. In April of that year the Division returned to the UK and was disbanded.
See also: 6th Airborne DivisionRead More
Make a donation to Airborne Assault ParaData to help preserve the history of The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces