6th Airborne Divisional Signals was formed in May 1943 and took part in the campaigns in NW Europe during 1944-45.
The unit deployed with the division to Palestine later in 1945, where it was sometimes involved in disrupting civilian communications during Internal Security operations, as well as maintaining and operating the division’s communications links.
It was redesignated as the 6th Airborne Divisional Signal Regiment in 1946 following a restructure of all Royal Corps of Signals units. Its companies and sections were also redesignated as squadrons and troops.
6th Airborne Division was restructured on several occasions whilst in Palestine and its units were also often relocated as a result of reorganisation and changes in the area of command.
In January 1947 the regiment was relocated and restructured at the same time, when the majority of the regiment moved with the division to Haifa and established itself in Stella Maris Camp on Mount Carmel.
Two days after the move, on 24 January, K Troop from No 2 Sqn sailed for the UK with 2nd Parachute Brigade Group. Shortly after its return to the UK the signal troop was formed into 2nd Independent Parachute Brigade Signal Squadron. (This was later redesignated as 16th Independent Parachute Brigade Signal Squadron.)
The remainder of the regiment continued to operate in Palestine until April 1948, when it returned to the UK onboard HMT Otranto.
The regiment then prepared for disbandment at Perham Down in Wiltshire and supplied reinforcements and equipment to 2nd Para Bde Sig Sqn, which was by now based in Germany, to ensure it was fully equipped and up to strength.
In June 1948 a farewell parade was held with the salute taken by General Wemyss, Colonel Commandant of the Royal Signals. He had been present at the inspection of 6th Airborne Divisional Signals by the Princess Royal shortly after its formation in 1943.
The Warrant Officers and Sergeants presented a silver Pegasus statuette to their counterparts in 2nd Ind Para Bde Sig Sqn during the ceremony. This has been passed down through the years and now resides in the Warrant Officers' and Sergeants' Mess of the present day successor unit 216 (Parachute) Signal Squadron.
6th Airborne Divisional Signal Regiment was formally disbanded in August 1948.
Lt Col PEM Bradley DSO*
|1946-48||Lt Col DA Pringle|
* The unit was redesignated as 6th Airborne Divisional Signal Regiment during Lt Col Bradley's command.
6th Airborne Divisional Signal Regiment Roll of Honour
|30 May 1946||L/Cpl HAJ Goddard||Died on active service|
|23 December 1946||Sgmn JR Benson||Died on active service|
|29 February 1948||Sgt JP Buckley||Killed in action or died of wounds|
|27 March 1948||Sgmn JW Rich||Killed in action or died of wounds|
Further information and reading
Further information about parachute signals is available on the 216 Parachute Signal Squadron Old Comrades Association website. Please click here.
Cordon and Search: with 6th Airborne Division in Palestine by Major General Dare Wilson.Published by Gale and Polden 1949. American edition published by the Battery Press Nashville 1984.Read More
Make a donation to Airborne Assault ParaData to help preserve the history of The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces