The 1st Airborne Squadron (Royal Engineers) was formed on 26 March 1945 following the redesignation of 1st Para Sqn RE. The squadron was a composite group comprising former 1st and 4th Para Sqn personnel and reinforcements.
It initially provided engineer support for 1st Airborne Division and deployed to Norway with the division for Operation Doomsday, to oversee the German surrender and assist the Norwegians in maintaining internal security.
The sqn was placed under command of 6th Airborne Division on 7 September 1945 shortly before the disbandment of 1st Airborne Division.
It providing engineer support to the 6th Airborne Division throughout its deployment in Palestine, and was one of the last units to leave in June 1948.
With the disbandment of 6th Airborne Division the unit was succeeded in 1948 by 9th Independent Airborne Squadron RE which became the sapper unit for 16 Independent Parachute Brigade Group. The reconstituted sapper unit was formed from personnel of the 1st, 3rd and 9th Airborne Squadrons and 147 Airborne Park Squadron.Read More
Make a donation to Airborne Assault ParaData to help preserve the history of The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces