From 1947 to 1956 the North Somerset Yeomanry (NSY) was the Armoured Regiment for the 16th Airborne Division, fulfilling the role of a heavy anti-tank unit. The Regiment was headquartered in Bath.
B Squadron operated out of a drill hall in Bristol and was the only NSY squadron capable of being inserted by parachute. In this role it was armed with towed 17 Pounder anti tank guns.
In 1956, the North Somerset Yeomanry merged with 44/50 Royal Tank Regiment (formed from 6th Glosters who were also Bristol based) and was retitled as the North Somerset Yeomanry/44 Royal Tank Regiment (NSY/44 RTR).
Compiled with kind assistance from Bruce Rodgers and the Somerset Military Museum.Read More
Make a donation to Airborne Assault ParaData to help preserve the history of The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces