No 4 Middle East Training School (No 4 METS) was formally opened at RAF Kabrit in May 1942 under the command of Wing Commander Warne, and provided parachute training for British airborne forces.
Located in the Suez Canal zone about 100 miles east of Cairo, Kabrit was used as the base for L Detachment, SAS, founded by Col David Stirling.
In October 1941 three instructors were sent from RAF Ringway to start a parachute training school at Kabrit.
Shortly after their arrival a successful demonstration was staged for General Auchinleck when 75 men were dropped from five Bombay aircraft.
The parachute training school was incorporated into No 4 METS when it was opened in 1942.
From December 1942 until its relocation in 1943 parachute training was principally provided to members of Brigadier Hackett's 4th Parachute Brigade.
The parachute training school was separated from No 4 METS shortly after its relocation to Ramat David and No 4 METS became the Middle East Central Gunnery School, Ramat David.Read More
Make a donation to Airborne Assault ParaData to help preserve the history of The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces