HQ 4th Parachute Brigade formed the headquarters for operations of the 4th Parachute Brigade.
The 4th Parachute Brigade was created in the Middle East in North Africa in November 1942 and was commanded by Brigadier John Hackett. It was initially assigned to the 4th Airborne Division, a phantom division, as a deception measure to create false Order of Battle in Operation Cascade. Later in 1943 it was assigned to the 1st Airborne Division participating in the invasion of Italy and was withdrawn back to the UK with the 1st Airborne Division in preparation for D-Day.
After a series of cancelled 1st Airborne Division operations following D-Day the 4th Brigade was part of the second lift into Arnhem during the ill-fated Operation MARKET-GARDEN in Southern Holland in September 1944. The Brigade was virtually wiped out in fighting west of Arnhem and in the perimeter besieged by the Germans at Oosterbeek. It was disbanded on return to the UK in October 1944 and the survivors transferred to the remnants of the 1st Parachute Brigade.
Profile under constructionRead More
Make a donation to Airborne Assault ParaData to help preserve the history of The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces