The Airborne Division was established towards the end of 1941 initially to co-ordinate the development, training and recruitment of airborne forces personnel. Its role and establishment evolved and eventually extended to operational responsibility for airborne units. Between January 1942 and April 1943 the division was gradually completed to full complement and in addition commanded all airborne units and formations raised.
Airborne Divisional Signals started to form up in spring 1942. Based at Beacon Barracks, Bulford, Lt Col RJ Moberly served as the unit's first commanding officer.
The Airborne Division was redesignated as 1st Airborne Division in 1943, with the creation of 6th Airborne Division. Airborne Divisional Signals was similarly renamed as 1st Airborne Divisional Signals.Read More
Make a donation to Airborne Assault ParaData to help preserve the history of The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces