The 4th Parachute Brigade (Territorial) was formed in 1947 as part of 16th Airborne Division (TA), with headquarters at the Duke of York Barracks Chelsea.
In 1950, the brigade was renumbered as 44th Parachute Brigade (TA).
In 1956, 16 Airborne Division was disbanded following a reduction in the number of TA Parachute Battalions, with the remaining 5 TA PARA Battalions, including the 10th and 11th Battalions, placed under the command of 44th Independent Parachute Brigade Group.
|1947-48||Brigadier SJ Hill DSO MC|
|1948-50||Brigadier JMK Spurling DSO|
|1950-53||Brigadier JA Hopwood DSO|
|1953-55||Brigadier WD Tighe Wood MC|
|1955-56*||Brigadier PGF Young|
* Brigadier Young also commanded 44th Independent Parachute Brigade Group.Read More
Make a donation to Airborne Assault ParaData to help preserve the history of The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces