458 Indepenpendent Light Battery was formed in 14 February 1941 from a cadre of existing light batteries and equipped with 3.7 inch pack howitzers.
In December 1941 it was designated to join the Airborne Division and moved to Bulford Camp in April 1942 and renamed as 1st Airlanding Light Battery (RA).
Over the next eleven months much experimentation and training took place in support of its airborne role and in 6 February 1943 the battery was expanded to become 1st Airlanding Light Regiment RA by dividing the existing officers, NCOs and men between the three new batteries and bringing it up to strength by recruitment from outside. The unit's guns were also replaced by 75mm pack howitzers.Read More
Make a donation to Airborne Assault ParaData to help preserve the history of The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces