The 44th Parachute Brigade (TA) formed part of the 16th Airborne Division (TA).
Originally created as 4th Parachute Brigade, it was renumbered as 44th Parachute Brigade in 1950 and continued under Divisional command until 1956 when the 16th Airborne Division (TA) was reduced to a single brigade group called the 44th Independent Parachute Brigade Group (TA).
The Brigade Group initially included five TA PARA Battalions:
10th (City of London),
17th (Durham Light Infantry)
The 12th and 13th were shortly amalgamated after the Brigade's formation in October 1956.
By 1967 the Brigade had reduced further to three battalions, with the 4th Battalion emerging from an amalgamation of the 12th/13th and 17th Battalions.
The redesignated 44th Parachute Brigade Volunteers (V) consisted now of the 4th (V) Battalion with its HQ at Pudsey near Bradford, the 10th (V) centred on London and the 15th (SV) Battalion based in Glasgow with companies throughout Scotland; and 16th (Lincoln) Independent Company The Parachute Regiment (V). The Brigade was supported by its own integral Airborne Supporting Arms and Services.
In 1978 44th Parachute Brigade was disbanded as part of further TA reductions.
Make a donation to Airborne Assault ParaData to help preserve the history of The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces