1 Special Communications Unit was formed in Clapham in 1947 and redesignated as 1 Special Communications Regiment in 1951.It moved to Worship Street, City of London, around 1954.
The unit was not part of the Airborne Forces Order of Battle but worked with the Foreign Office.
4 Squadron, also London based, was raised as a parachute squadron operating suitcase type radios with hand generators using high speed Morse.
In 1959, the Regiment was redesignated as 65 Signal Regiment, and renamed again in 1967 as 39 Signal Regiment.
The Parachute Squadron was disbanded in 1974 and replaced by a Parachute Troop in 1 Squadron.
Former members of the Squadron and Regiment are eligible to join the Special Communications (TA) Association. The Association's Secretary, Ros Hicks can be contacted by e-mail at email@example.com or by post at: Ros Hicks, 3 Ancaster Road, Mablethorpe, Lincolnshire, LN12 2DH.Read More
Make a donation to Airborne Assault ParaData to help preserve the history of The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces