Account by Trooper Dale-Glossop
The 3rd The Kings Own Hussars moved down from Adlum in Syria to Sarafand (the Aldershot of Palestine) in the autumn of 1945 joining the 6th Airborne Division, as the only remaining Airborne Cavalry Re
The Regiment was originally raised in the 17th Century as Dragoons and became known as The 3rd (King’s Own) Hussars in 1861. In 1921 the title of the Regiment changed for the final time to '3rd The King's Own Hussars' and was mechanised in the 1930s.
In 1945 the Regiment was in Syria and moved south into Palestine on 4 October, although not at this point part of 6th Airborne Division it soon came under command.
It eventually joined the Division on 1 February 1946, to take over the duties of 6th Armoured Airborne Reconnaissance Regiment when 6AARR was disbanded. Some 400 soldiers, from the 6AARR and 22nd Independent Company, transferred into the 3rd KoH at the same time. Discussions of a possible amalgamation of the two units had actually occurred as early as December 1945 and was hastened as demobilisation of soldiers continued apace in the immediate post war period. It operated as part of 6 Airborne Division until embarking at Port Said for the UK in Strahnaver on 21 May 1948.
It then performed a non airborne role in Germany until its eventual amalgamation in 1958 with 7th Queen's Own Hussars to form The Queen's Own Hussars.
Make a donation to Airborne Assault ParaData to help preserve the history of The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces