33rd Airborne Light Regiment RA

33rd Airborne Light Regiment RA

1947 to 1953

In April 1947,  53rd Airlanding Light Regiment was redesignated as 33rd Airborne Light Regiment RA.

210, 211 and 212 Batteries absorbed the history and honours of 40, 85 and 87 Field Batteries, and were renumbered as 82, 96 and 97 Airborne Light Batteries respectively.

At the time of its redesignation, the unit was serving with 6th Airborne Division in Palestine. It subsequently left Palestine on 12 March 1948, on board the Otranto, bound for the UK.

It formed part of the British Army of the Rhine (BAOR) based in Germany from 1948 until November 1949, initially at Flensburg and then Fallingbostel.

After Germany it was based in the UK, when 82 Battery was redesignated as an anti tank battery and reassigned, leaving the regiment with 96 and 97 Batteries. The regiment deployed in 1951 for tours in Cyprus and the Canal Zone. It operated in Geneifa, where it took over security of the Ordnance Depot; Moascar, El Ballah, and Port Said.

It was redesignated as the 33rd Parachute Field Regiment (RA)  in 1953 and requipped with 25 Pounder Artillery.

Read More

Photos_14

Magazine extracts_1

  • Article from The Gunner, issue 171, February 1985.

    Article from The Gunner, issue 171, February 1985.

    1 Item

Group photos_2

Solo photos_1

  • RSM John Siely of 33 Airborne Light Regt RA, pictured in 1947

    RSM John Siely of 33 Airborne Light Regt RA, pictured in 1947

    1 Image

Latest Comments

There are currently no comments for this content.

Add your comment

Donate

Make a donation to Airborne Assault ParaData to help preserve the history of The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces