The unit was initially formed as the 289th Parachute Light Regiment, Royal Artillery (TA) in 1956.
This followed the dissolution of the post-war Territorial Army 16 Airborne Division and the restructuring of its artillery units:
291 (4th London) Airborne Field Regiment RA (TA) (based at Lewisham)
292 (5th London) Airborne Anti-Tank Regiment RA (TA) (based at Kensington)
285 (Essex) Airborne Light Regiment RA (TA) (based at Stratford).
289 Para Lt Reg RA was named from the amalgamation of 285 and 291 Regiments, initially becoming part of 44th (Independent) Parachute Brigade Group (TA).
It was renamed as 289 Parachute Regiment, Royal Horse Artillery in 1960 on the 100th anniversary of the formation of 291 Regt, and marked by a centenary event at which 289's Honorary Colonel, the Earl Mountbatten of Burma, formally accepted the change of status from the Master Gunner.Read More
Make a donation to Airborne Assault ParaData to help preserve the history of The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces