286 Field Park Company RE (Airborne) and its work on D Day
The "Field Park" was the workshop, equipment, plant and stores unit of the Divisional Engineers and important though it was it seldom gained a front line role.
286 Field Park Company, Royal Engineers was assigned to form part of the 6th Airborne Division from 7 June 1943.
It provided the workshop, equipment, plant and stores unit of the Divisional Engineers and acted in a support role for the Divisional campaigns from Normandy through to Palestine.
It was expanded and redesignated as 286th Airborne Park Squadron for 6th Airborne Division's role in Palestine.
In 1946, it was renamed as 249th Airborne Park Squadron, and on 24 January 1947 one detachment of the the squadron sailed from Haifa for the UK, as part of 2nd Parachute Brigade Group.
Later in 1947, 249th Airborne Park Squadron was redesignated again as 147th Airborne Park Squadron.Read More
Make a donation to Airborne Assault ParaData to help preserve the history of The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces