The 17th Parachute Battalion was formed in August 1945 to fill the gap created in the 6th Airborne Division when the Canadian Parachute Battalion returned to Canada. It was commanded by Lt Col McCardie and amalgamated with the 7th Parachute Battalion in August 1946 in Palestine.
The 17th (Durham Light Infantry) Parachute Battalion (TA) was raised from the 9th Battalion Durham Light Infantry (TA) in 1947 serving in the 5th Parachute Brigade of the newly formed 16th Airborne Division (TA).
It was re-designated 17th (DLI) PARA (TA) in 1948 and eventually it amalgamated with 12/13th PARA (TA) ,when the 44th Independent Parachute Brigade Group was reorganised in 1967 as 44 Parachute Brigade (V), to become 4 PARA (V).
The battalion's heritage was reflected in a diamond cloth backing behind their cap badge and a diamond DZ Flash, both in light infantry green. A further feature of the Battle Dress (BD) uniform, was the maroon painted and polished 37 Pattern belts (less rear brass buckles). The 37 Pattern belt was also worn with shirt sleeve order (pre-stable belt) and with drill order (Smock), including a matching painted Bayonet Frog, until much later. They also wore black painted and polished ankle gaiters, with BD Uniform Khaki Drill and Olive Green Lightweight Trousers, until Ankle Putties were issued around 1964.
1947-8 Lt Col JC Slight, DSO
1948-50 Lt Col TH Birbeck, DSO
1950-3 Lt Col RB Humphreys
1953-6 Lt Col JRP Montgomery, MC
1956-8 Lt Col CFO Breese
1958-60 Lt Col WGS Mills
1960-2 Lt Col RE Morton
1962-5 Lt Col HL Carey, TD
1965-6 Lt Col KC Came, OBE
Make a donation to Airborne Assault ParaData to help preserve the history of The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces