The Efficiency Medal, instituted in 1930, was awarded for a minimum of 12 years service for other ranks serving in the Territorial Army. War service counted as double time.
Clasps were awarded for additional periods of service of six years.
The suspension bar underneath the ribbon is inscribed with the word 'Territorial'.
From 1969, the Efficiency Medal's ribbon colours changed and the suspension bar wording altered to 'T&AVR'.
In some instances soldiers with lengthy reckonable service have received both the pre and post '69 types of Efficiency Medal instead of an additional service clasp.
The medal was replaced in 1999 by the Volunteer Reserve Service Medal.
Make a donation to Airborne Assault ParaData to help preserve the history of The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces