Report covering the death of Sgt Lambert

9/10 SEPTEMBER 1946
At 2300 hours 9 September 1946, while at 6 ADTC Petah Tiqva, I received a signal from 127 Para Fd Amb instructing me to proceed to 2 Para Bde HQ by midnight. I confirmed this with 2 Para Bde HQ and was leaving at 23 15 hours when a further signal was received postponing arrival at 2 Bde to 0030 hours 10 September.

While checking out at Guardroom Petah Tiqva at 2330 hours, I noticed tracer bullets coming from direction of main road Lydda-Haifa. I warned guard to take cover. The alarm was sounded and an armed patrol left the camp. At midnight I left Petah Tiqva 6 A.D.T.C. in my staff car and at junction of road from camp, with Lydda-Haifa road, picked up a jeep detailed by Lt Hughes 2 Para Bn to escort me in direction of Lydda.

The jeep went ahead. After proceeding 1/2 to 3/4 mile I saw a jeep parked facing us about 200 yards ahead, with lights out, and our headlights picked up two shining objects in the road about 100 yards ahead.

We slowed down and in doing so overtook the escort jeep. There was a burst of automatic SA fire from near the parked jeep, followed by another burst a few yards from the road to the right.

During the second burst which occurred at approximately 0005 hours 10 September No 6854402 Sgt Lambert En of 7 Para Bn, in the escort was fatally wounded in the head.

I was standing through the roof of the staff car armed with a sten, at the time of the shooting. The floor of the car had been covered with sand bags before leaving 6 ADTC Captain (QM) J Webster RAMC 127 Para Fd Amb, was with me in the car.

We dismounted, and went back to attend to the wounded Sgt.

Another Sgt came towards us from the jeep ahead passing the mines on his way. He was 1525 1939 S/Sgt Arnold C who was returning to 6 A.D.T.C. and he stated he had fired directly across the road, and not in our direction.

I then ordered the staff car and jeep to turn around and return to 6 ADTC We placed the wounded man on the sand bags in the back of the car.

We had proceeded about 1/4 mile when there was another burst of automatic fire including tracer from the road to the West.

One bullet struck the back of my car.

I returned the fire from my Sten and the jeep ahead also opened fire.

We returned to 6 ADTC and I found Sgt Lambert was dying.

I attempted to signal 2 Bde HQ and 6 Division HQ but the telephone operator could not get through Central Exchange. Message was then sent by wireless.

At approximately 0145 hours 10 September 1946 Sgt Lambert died having been unconscious from the moment he was hit.
WO 275/42

Report kindly supplied by   Michael Pine-Coffin

Read More

Related People


Make a donation to Airborne Assault ParaData to help preserve the history of The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces