Eulogies to WO2 Michael Williams, Killed in Afghanistan 24 June 2008

His Company Commander, Major Adam Dawson, said: "Company Sergeant Major Mark Williams commanded the Fire Support Group attached to C (Bruneval) Company. He had joined the Company prior to Operations in Afghanistan although he deployed earlier than the majority of soldiers to conduct the final stages of training that would place the cap on the Battalion's preparation for Afghanistan. "His was the task of launching 2 PARA into Operation HERRICK, equipped to overcome the significant challenges that would be faced. He added polish and finesse to our skills at all levels. "Mark Williams was a rock and a constant, when the situation was swirling around him he would be found level headed and down to earth, able to cut through the cloud of uncertainty and doubt. A man of much passion, he was a life-long and avid supporter of Cardiff City Football Club, he was staunchly Welsh and as proud as any man I know of his heritage. His humanity was ever present and touched all aspects of his soldiering and his soldiers, who grew in his example. "A thoughtful man, when he spoke his words never failed to have impact and his actions always said more than words ever could. He expected high standards, setting only the best example in his own conduct. In leadership terms he was the anchor point for his Fire Support Group, pulling them together as a tight knit team, motivated to excel through a desire not to let him down. As far as his trade was concerned, what he did not know about machine gunnery was not worth knowing, he was a true professional and took great pride in his vocation. "Mark Williams had a light heart and a simple touch, able to connect with all around him. Firm when necessary but never overbearing he was renowned for his absolute dedication and loyalty to the soldiers under his command and those lucky enough to call him a friend. "Compact in stature but strong in heart, his character overflowed, brought joy to many and left one feeling at ease in his presence. He was genuine, uncomplicated, straight talking and honest, a better man could not be found. He died providing overwatch and security for Bruneval Company as it undertook its most challenging operation to date in the centre of the Taliban's heartland beyond Sangin. Whilst we will miss him greatly, we will all be thankful and consider ourselves blessed to have known him." His great friend, Sergeant Major Karl Mitchell, paid the following tribute: "I've known Michael for most of my military career – he was more commonly known to everyone as Mark or 'Weasel'; I won't go into how he gained the nickname. I think of him in two ways: Mark the soldier and Mark the friend. "The soldier was one of the most professional men I've ever had the honour of working with. He was always meticulous in everything he did, whether that be soldiering or the mountains of paperwork that comes with the job as Company Sergeant Major. This would constantly be a subject we would moan about over a pint. Mark was the type of person that could not rest until everything was just right. He was more at home in the field than in the office. "His knowledge of Machine Gunning held legendary status within the Battalion and the men he trained will carry on his legacy for many years to come. He was due a posting after the tour that would have seen him move closer to the Welsh Valleys, and his beloved Cardiff City Football Club – never have I met a stauncher fan. "Mark the friend was more like a brother. He was generous nearly to a fault, he would stop everything to help out in any way he could, and nothing was too much to ask. There were three of us that lived in each others pockets: Mark, myself and Sergeant Lee Payne. It was a standing joke that wherever one was, the other two would not be far behind. Mark was shortest of the trio and this we never let him forget. My daughter believed he was called 'Little Mark' after Lee Payne convinced her it was his real name. He always took the time out to play with her and I know she will be devastated. "We all lived together, worked together and played together (harder than most). Every weekend we would meet up with friends in Colchester town, and attempt to drink the pubs dry, then argue about football and the history between Wales and England, with the night usually ending in a drunken taxi ride back to the barracks. The following morning would always see Mark with a monster hangover, and Lee annoying him to get his arse out of bed. "There's really too much to be able to put into words when it comes to Mark. He was the classic case of short of height, but tall in stature; a man who was larger than life. You were loved Mark by all that knew you, and your memory will forever be carried by us. With your passing a part of me has gone too. Until we meet again brother." Warrant Officer Class 2, Sergeant Major Martin Thorpe: "I've known Weasel all my army career from B Company and more recently as a fellow warrant officer in 2 PARA. One of my lasting memories of Weasel was when we were both instructors at the Infantry Battle School in Brecon. When my wife and kids came to stay in Brecon for the weekend, he would offer to help entertain my two small children. He would chase them around the mess with the kids screaming "it's the midget". What fun they had! "The first thing my kids asked if they came to visit me was "where's the little man?". My family and I will deeply miss him as a friend and a fellow paratrooper." Major Dave Lee, the Quartermaster, remembers when Mark Williams joined 2 PARA: "I remember him arriving in 2 PARA in 1986. I was a Lance Corporal in 10 Platoon, D Company, he was a new Tom in 11 Platoon. He was a mad little Tom, and was very popular because he was always up to mischief. He was a good boxer – I remember him boxing fiercely for the Company, and he was an excellent soldier. He was well known in the Battalion, and throughout his career he always found time for others, and would always see the positive side of life. "He could lighten any moment, even travelling with Colchester Football Club away fans to watch his beloved Cardiff City play at home. He was a season ticket holder, and would always head out of Colchester to Cardiff's home and away matches. He'd leave work early and drive across the country to night-time games. The highlight of his fanaticism was attending the FA Cup Final at Wembley this year, organising his leave from Afghanistan especially for it. He was a true professional who gave so much." 2 PARA's Regimental Sergeant Major, Warrant Officer Class 1 Tony Hobbins, said: "Mark wanted to get on that operation. In true Parachute Regiment fashion he wouldn't have it any other way – he gave his all to everything, and was fanatically loyal to The Regiment and the Sergeants' Mess. There is not one person is the Battalion who did not like him, and will not miss him." Colour Sergeant Steve Pitt lived next door to him in the Sergeants' Mess: "We used to go out all the time together. He was a brilliant bloke and really, really popular. He was well respected by everyone and a fantastic soldier and leader, who led from the front, in whatever job he was doing. He was a massive Cardiff City fan, and said he'd had a brilliant time on R&R watching them in the FA Cup Final." Sergeant Stu Hodgkinson, his friend, said: "He was the life and soul of the party – always in the middle of the social scene in the Sergeants' Mess, always up for a laugh. Overall, he was a really friendly and nice guy – he'd get on with anybody. He was a massive Cardiff City fan, and he was so excited to get to see them play in the FA Cup Final. He talked about the great weekend he had with 40 friends in London, even though Cardiff lost, staying in a hotel that overlooked Wembley. When he returned to Afghanistan, he was desperate to return to his men at FOB GIBRALTAR. He was always eager to be at the front." Sergeant Dean Pilcher knew Mark Williams since he joined the Army in 1996: "Mark was a Lance Corporal when I joined the Battalion in Belfast in 1996. I looked up to him and thought 'that's what I'm going to be like when I'm a Non-Commissioned Officer'. Cardiff City was his passion – he wouldn't drink out of a cup that wasn't blue. He was well known around Colchester, especially in his local pubs – the Wig & Pen and Fox & Fiddler – where he was, that was always the happening place." Lance Corporal Gary Houldsworth was led by Mark Williams in the Fire Support Group: "I first met Mark Williams on Pre Deployment Training before we started Operation HERRICK. At first he struck me as a down to earth normal kind of guy. However, once you worked with him you found out about the real man – he was funny, outgoing, courageous, strong and an all-round outstanding commander to work for. He lived and died loving his job. He was so proud to be a Paratrooper and so proud to be doing his job in Afghanistan. "I am so happy that he got to see his beloved Cardiff City Football Club play at Wembley this year. Mark was extremely well respected and the Parachute Regiment has lost an excellent commander. It was an honour to work with him and say that I have known him. Until we meet again, take care Mark."
Read More

Related People


Make a donation to Airborne Assault ParaData to help preserve the history of The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces