The C15TA Armoured Truck was developed by General Motors Canada along the same lines as the American M3 ‘White’ Scout Car, which it was intended to replace. The vehicle used the chassis of the Chevrolet C15 Canadian Military Pattern truck design. Between 1943 and 1945 a total of 3,961 units were built in Oshawa, Ontario. Armoured hulls were supplied by the Hamilton Bridge Company.
The C15TA was used by the British and Canadian units in the Northwest European campaign as armoured personnel carrier and ambulance (CT15AA), and also by some British Units in the Far East, such as the 5th Parachute Brigade.
Within the British Airborne Forces some were converted to provide a ‘Command Vehicle’ at Battalion and Brigade level, and were fitted with extra radios’. Specifications.
Weight: 4.5 tons
Length: 4.75 m (15 ft 7 in)
Width: 2.34 m (7 ft 8 in)
Height: 2.31 m (7 ft 7 in)
Armour : 6-14 mm
Engine: GMC 6 cyl. Gasoline, 100 hp (74 kW)
Power/weight: 22.2 hp/tonne
Suspension: 4 x 4 wheel, leaf spring
Speed: 65 km/h (40 mph)