The Argosy was a transport aircraft designed in the mid 1950s, which first flew in 1959, before entering service with the Royal Air Force from the mid 1960s.
It is notable for its large rear opening doors and for this reason the Argosy C Mk 1 variant was widely used by Airborne Forces for its capability to accommodate both large numbers of paratroopers and stores.
It could also be used for parachuting of Heavy Drop items and cargo of up to 29,000Ilbs (13,000Kg) including Ferret Armoured Cars, or artillery such as the 105 mm (4.13 in) howitzer or WOMBAT Recoilless Rifles on Heavy Drop Platforms.
The Argosy was replaced in the Parachuting and Transport role by the Hercules Aircraft from 1975 onwards.
Powerplant: Four Rolls Royce RDa.8 Dart turboprops
Wing span: 3505m (115ft)
Length: 27.12m (89ft)
Height: 8.23m (27ft)
Empty weight: 25400kg (56000lb)
Maximum take-off weight: 44000kg (97000lb)
Payload: 13154kg (29000lb)
Cruising speed: 440kg/hr (273mph)
Range: 5560km (3455 miles), with maximum payload 555km (345 miles)