Skip Navigation

Unit 5th (Scottish) Parachute Battalion

The 5th (Scottish) Parachute Battalion was formed from the 7th Battalion The Cameron Highlanders in May 1942 and became part of the 2nd Parachute Brigade.

It was deployed to North Africa and took part in the seaborne landings in Italy in September 1943. When 1st Airborne Division returned to the UK it remained behind in Italy as part of the re-designated 2nd Independent Parachute Brigade. It operated as line infantry in Italy, jumped into Southern France in August 1944 and was part of the Athens occupation force in the winter of 1944-5.

After the war it served with the 6th Airborne Division in Palestine until 24 January 1947, when it sailed from Haifa bound for the United Kingdom as part of 2nd Parachute Brigade Group.

In February 1948, the Brigade Group including the 5th Para Bn was posted to the British Army of the Rhine and garrisoned at Leicester Barracks, Husum.

With the formation of the 16th Independent Parachute Brigade Group in 1948 the 5th (Scottish) Battalion was re-designated 2 PARA in July.

Commanding Officers:


1942            Lt Col A Dunlop
1942-3        Lt Col CB Mackenzie, DSO, MBE
1943-5        Lt Col DR Hunter, MC
1945-7        Lt Col JNH Christie
1947            Lt Col AGF Munro
1947-8        Lt Col PS Sandilands, DSO

by Paradata Editor

The Tel Aviv Car Park attack April 1946

An account of the attack on a 6th Airborne Division car park at Tel Aviv in which 7 members of the 5th (Scottish) Parachute Battalion were killed.

Find out more about The Tel Aviv Car Park attack April 1946

By Major General Dare Wilson CBE MC