201 (Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire) Parachute Battery, Royal Artillery is part of 100th (Yeomanry) Regiment, Royal Artillery (V) and is based in Luton and Romford. The battery has an airmobile committment and those joining have the opportunity to attend P Company and qualify for Parachute Wings.
The battery was formed on 1 April 1967 from 286 (Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire Yeomanry) Field Regiment RA (TA) although its heritage can be traced back to 419th Battery, 52nd Heavy Regiment (Bedfordshire Yeomanry) RA. The 52nd Heavy Reg RA was assigned to support XXX Corps under the command of 64th Medium Regiment RA during Op Market Garden in September 1944.
The 64th Medium Regiment were subsequently presented with the Pegasus flash in recognition of the sustained, accurate fire directed in support of the 1st Airborne Division troops during the Battle of Arnhem.
The battery has recently acted in a supporting role to 7 PARA RHA on deployments to Iraq. One of the constituent troops, 289 Parachute Troop RA, traces its own heritage to a previous airborne volunteer battery, 289 Parachute Battery RHA (V).
Record under construction - with assistance from Jeffrey Barker, Bob Hilton and Ray Reynolds.